Saturday, July 30, 2011

I'm a Respectable Girl

"I ain't done nothin' wrong by speaking to the gentleman. I've a right to sell flowers if I keep off the kerb. I'm a respectable girl: so help me, I never spoke to him 'cept so far as to buy a flower off me" - Eliza Dolittle, My Fair Lady

Just as Eliza had her troubles, trying to find new Victorian gowns can be a struggle these days.  One designer, Raudf Fox, has been selling her designs as long as I've been on the grid.  In fact, I spent several hours my first year, just waiting for the letter "E" to appear on her lucky chair so I could have a new gown. Dear Miss Reghan Straaf dropped a shopping hint one evening about that chair. I have fond memories of chatting with her while we waited for our initials to pop up.  Raudf Fox's shop called DiamonX has moved in the past months so your old landmarks probably won't work.  Best of all, she is re-designing and updating her favorites - look for the number 2 to pick out the newer versions.  There are also new skirt designs so if you like a tailored skirt vs. a crinoline skirt, you will be able to shop for your favorites.
*DX* Cosset Time - Blue
*DX* Cosset Time 2 features a floral corseted top with puffy sleeves and gathered bustle in the same pattern. The sleeves and neckline are accented with ruffles, buttons, and bows. The skirt is full but not ballroom gown full. The contrast between black ruffles and the brown back skirt makes this perfect for wandering in the steamlands.  Besides, if Eliza was wearing this, it would hide those sooty dust marks! Colors include silver, red, blue, green, and purple.
Hatpins - Lady Olivia
Tossed on top of my straggling buns is Lady Olivia in chocolate & gold from Hatpins.  It is one of my favorite hat models covered in brown floral pattern fabric and a light layer of netting.  The crown is accented in ribbon and contrasting flower. Don't you just love a well-made hat?

*DX* Royal Time - Purple
*DX* Royal Time is a Victorian ballgown featured a full crinoline ruffled skirt.  If you have shopped DiamonX in past years, you probably have one of these tucked in your closet. Don't hesitate to go pick up the prettier new version. The brocade satin fabric is lovely contrasted with the gold embroidery on the bodice. The sleeves frame your shoulders with ribbons and bows. Notice the skirt has the gold overlay with the black satin ruffles.  The contrasting colors of the skirt changes to match the brocade accent colors.

*DX* Boating Time - Brown
*DX* Boating Time features a velvet jacket to keep you warm while braving the waves.The skirt features a slim silhouette in a nautical pattern. Sculpted sleeves accented with ruffles & bows add to the proper look of a tailored jacket.  The jacket is modeled after a riding jacket with a short skirt in the back.  The creamy white blouse has tiny ruffles bodice complete with a cameo pin on the collar.  Not shown is a straw boater hat which can be added for those quiet rows around the pond. Even though this is not one of the newest gowns, this Boating Time has become one of my favorites to wear - mostly because of the slimmer style skirt.  Colors include blue, brown, green, red, and silver.

Raudf Fox prices her gowns usually under 200L which makes them a great way to add variety to one's Victorian trunks. By the way, the lucky chair is still sitting in her shop....just waiting for your initial to pop up!

Wearing:
Gowns:  DiamonX Cosset Time, Royal Time, and Boating Time
Hat:  Hatpins - Lady Olivia
Shoes: GField - Short Lace-up Boots
Skin: LAQ Susan - Fair
Hair: Raspberry Aristocrat - Khloe featured with the Cosset Time gown
Hair:  Truth - Bonnie with the other gowns
Poses:  Olive Juice - Blooms with the wearable basket
Poses:  aDORKable - Poofy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I shall have to stop by for some of those nautical offerings; I find I am often in need of warm clothes during my sailing adventures.